Thanks, Emily, for this very delicious guest post!
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten at the Food Network
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
1/2 lb pasta
2 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups grated gruyere
1 cup grated cheddar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season generously with salt.
- Add the pasta and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the milk in a small saucepan over low heat - don't bring it to a boil. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk over low heat for 1 minute. While whisking, add the warmed milk and cook until thickened and smooth (2 to 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Add the gruyere, cheddar, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into medium baking dish. **I spooned some into a small ramekin and the rest in a separate baking dish**
- Top with panko bread crumbs. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top. I usually pop it under the broiler for a minute or two right before I take it out to make sure the top gets nice and brown!